Posted by: mommyq | November 21, 2007

Scary Night but, good news today!

Sorry I haven’t updated in a while but, it has been busy.  As you all know from my last post, I have been suffering with some swelling in my left leg.  I saw my OB on Monday and, she had her secretary book me for a leg doppler US for Thursday to check things out but, I never made it that far.  Yesterday at work, my foot continued to swell and, kept going up and down like a balloon all day.  Towards the end of the day, I also started having really frequent heart palpitations that caused tightness and pain in my chest.  So, I made my way to the ER (Centennary) to get things checked out.

Unfortunately, by the time I got registered, it was too late to get me in for a leg doppler but, they wanted to check my heart, my blood, etc. etc.  The ER was completely and utterly PACKED to the rafters (which is a whole other ranting blog post all together) so, even though I got checked in at 5:30, I wasn’t given a bed until about 11:00.  They did proactively do the EKG, bloodwork and stuff to make sure there wasn’t anything critical and then left me to wait.  By the time I got to the bed, got changed and put my foot up, it was super swollen, red and HOT.  The doctor came to examine me and, told me that I def. had an infection in my leg and, that he would order a round of IV antibiotics.  He also, because of the size at the time, suspected that a clot might be involved so, this is where I was faced with what may have been one of the hardest decisions that I have ever had to make!  He basically told me that I could a) wait till the leg doppler in the morning and take my chances that I didn’t pass a clot (which can be life threatening) during the night or b) get started on blood thinners to break down the clot (which can cause bleeding and miscarriage in pregnant women).  WOW!  I felt like I was playing the worlds WORST game of roulette and, basically, it came down to the luck of the draw.  My biggest fear was saying yes to the blood thinners, getting the all clear from the leg doppler the next day and then something happening to the baby.  I honestly don’t think I could live with myself.  So, after some time to talk to Patrick, cry a little and think things through I decided to just take the antibiotic and wait on the blood thinners.  I figured, I would take my chances through the night and see what the morning brought.  Basically, we would either get the good news that there was no clot and that I made the right decision on refusing the potentially dangerous blood thinners or, the ultrasound showed a clot and, I could proceed with the blood thinners but, this time with the consult of my OB instead of a rash decision in the wee hours of the morning based on the opinion of a doctor that I don’t know or trust from adam.

So, with that, the ER doc left and, the nurses hooked me up to an IV and administered the antibiotic.  Once that was done, they removed most of the IV.  They left in a block since I was most likely going to get another dose the next day which basically means they leave a tube in your hand which they lock and tape to you so they can simply hook the IV up to instead of having to re-insert with a needle.  Needless to say, I did NOT get very much sleep last night (we didn’t get to bed till about 3am) but, thankfully it was uneventful.  I called in the morning for my appointment and was booked in for 10:30.  After the doppler, I went back to the ER to wait on the results.  After a short wait, I was sent back to a room and saw the doctor rather quickly who, happily told me that there was NO CLOT (yeah!) and that it was the infection that caused the swelling and not the swelling from a clot that caused the infection.  Since it is a rather bad infection, they doctor wants to continue with IV antibiotics for a while longer which means I go back to the ER every 24 hours to get my dose and, I am off work and instructed to keep my foot rested until the swelling comes down.  He said it could take a few weeks for the infection to completely clear and for the foot to return to normal but, I should be seeing some results in the next few days.  Once we get to that point, I will get a round of oral antibiotics to finish it off.  (Can anyone say yeast infection????  I guess I should start drinking my cranberry juice now!)

So, all in all, it was a fantastic day and, I am so relieved that a) I made the right decision and b) in a few more weeks, I will be back to normal!

Well, I am off to put my sweet little girl to bed.  Patrick has bathed, massaged and gotten her dressed for bed so, I get the easy task of cuddles and a story!

Advertisements

Responses

  1. Do they know what could have caused the infection?

  2. Oh Suzie that was a scary night. I hope the antis work quickly and you are back to normal soon.

  3. Thanks girls. Stef, they said it really could be anything. The bacteria could have entered via a nick or scratch. There are even rare chances that it could have been caused by water retention in that foot.

    I am still hooked up to the antibiotics and, the foot seems to be getting better but, I am amazed at how long it is taking since I am being pumped full of antibiotics both by IV and orally. They warned me that these types of infections take a while but, man, it is crazy.

  4. Wow Sue!!! I’m so sorry you are having such a rough time!! Thank goodness for NO clots!!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: